Archive for the Manfred Zähringer Category

Tip of the Iceberg — Manfred Zähringer on Dúné

Posted in boom boom magazine, danish music scene, Dúné, Manfred Zähringer with tags , , , , , , , , on January 21, 2009 by boomboommag

Dúné are backed by one of Scandinavia’s oldest indie labels, Iceberg Records. So expect to hear more from them.

Have a Cigar!

dune_manfred_zahringer_iceberg_records1
At first glance, Manfred Zähringer is slightly reminiscent of the cynical record-company boss in the old  Pink Floyd classic, all big smiles and even bigger cigars. But the director of Iceberg Records is no industry baron comfortably parked on his backside in an executive lounger while the troops do all the hard work. Quite the contrary. Zähringer spends 130 days a year abroad, fighting for Iceberg’s artists. In recent  years, he has put a great deal of effort into two red-hot rock names: Dúné and the slightly more experienced The Blue Van, who have been busy criss-crossing the USA. Iceberg Records was set up all the way back in 1982. Zähringer says that Iceberg is “probably the oldest Scandinavian indie label that’s been run by the same management throughout its entire existence, and has never been financed by outside investors.”

Zähringer, who runs Iceberg along with his wife Mette, has experienced his share of ups and downs over  the years, but the label has established a strong position for itself in the industry – largely thanks to the  pop artist Scatman John, who sold more than eight million records worldwide in the mid-’90s. This  enabled Iceberg to make its name as a versatile indie label with a wide spectrum of products.

iceberg_records_dune

The very young musicians in Dúné are now drawing on Zähringer’s wisdom and experience, the result of his many years in the industry. Most recently, Zähringer paved the way for Dúné’s debut on the  Japanese market. “I said to Dúné that they should be ready for the fact that in Japan the music is 50% and the other 50% is image/looks/charisma,” he says. “After we had been there a while, Ole [Bjørn Sørensen, keyboard player] said to me ‘You’re right – except that the music is 20% and all the rest is 80%’.”

Text: Anders Houmøller Thomsen
Photography: Raw Format

MB